Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Jubilation

I'm working on my taxes again, and I've just learned that over $6,000 of my Social Security benefits in 2009 are taxable. Boo. I walked back downstairs, hoping maybe I'd get some solace from deer in my back yard. (Or, at least, see that the light cover of snow had evaporated away.) Well, the snow was gone, but deer were nowhere to be seen. Very late March snow is like that; so, apparently, are late March deer.

What to do? I was done for the day with the taxes. Enough of it. And deer couldn't do the trick. I needed some music.

Simon and Garfunkel sang one of the coolest, funkiest, songs I know. It is called "Cecilia," which starts out with the singers pleading with the title gal to come home, "come on home."

Then the tempo shifts dramatically, joyfully:

"Jubilation,
She loves me again,
I fall on the floor and I laughing"

I woke up this morning with the song in my head. It was minutes - minutes! - before I started thinking about the Internal Revenue Service. Let's hope I have a similar first-thing song in my brain tomorrow morning. (And maybe some deer in the back yard.) They're all a good way to gird up for those STATE forms, which are coming up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment