Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Taxes and deer

Hmm? "Qualified dividends?" (Qualified for what?) "S" corporations? (What? Syndicates? Shipping companies?) Stock costs "plus purchase commissions and improvements, minus depreciation, amortization, and depletion." (Huh?)

Welcome to the world of income tax time, which I've entered this afternoon. I'm only a little way into it, but it leaves me wandering my rooms, stunned, trying to figure out how to be honest amidst a blizzard of cant, acronyms, and jargon intelligible only to specialized CPAs, IRS agents, and politicized policy wonks bent into one political shape or another.

So, less than half way through the 1040 form, I walked (staggered) downstairs, moved zombie-like into my kitchen, and gazed out at three does enjoying my back yard. Colored in spring-time brown, getting fat, perhaps, by a birth due in a few months, the does seemed relaxed, nibbling on tiny shoots of early springtime blades of grass, lifting their black-tipped tails and pooping where they would.

Envy might be against one of the Ten Commandments. But, hey.

No comments:

Post a Comment